Week 2: Preparing for Lent
- Create and foster an understanding that Lent is a season for repenting of our sins and turning our hearts back to God.
- Understand that prayer, fasting and almsgiving are vital means of turning our hearts back to God.
- Help your child to develop a plan for Lent that will help him/her to understand and to practice his/her Lenten plan with the intention of growing closer to God
- Teach and encourage your child to pray regularly, and pray as a family
- Make specific plans to go to Confession during Lent, with your teen and as a family. The Sacraments are truly avenues of God’s grace in a way that we can’t even imagine until we experience it!
- Make sure you choose to share in God’s great and abundant grace this Lenten season through Reconciliation and regular reception of the Eucharist!
- Hang a crucifix in your room where you can see it and gaze upon it every day. If you don’t have a crucifix, print out a picture of one, or ask your parents if you can get one for your room. Another option is to make your own crucifix. Here is a model using clothespins. As you gaze on your crucifix, think about the great love Jesus has for you! A simple prayer could just be quietly whispering the name “Jesus” over and over. There is great power in the name of Jesus! (Again, we have plenty of supplies here – just give us a call and we’ll set up a kit for you, with everything you need to make this!)
Watch and Listen
Plan for Lent
Prayerfully create a Lenten plan of your own to help you grow closer to Jesus. Consider how you will pray (Learn new prayers? Pray more regularly? Focus more on pay attention when you pray?). How will you fast? (not only fasting from certain foods at times, but fasting from anything that distracts you from God. How will this fasting bring you closer to Jesus?) Giving (what will you give to others in the name of Jesus this Lent? Do you have too many “things”? Do you appreciate and take care of the things you have? Here is a worksheet to help you create a plan! There is a sample plan, and then a blank one that you can complete yourself.